Goods transportation service can be received by following the undermentioned procedure. The rates ( fares ) are given in the Reservation Page.
1. Download application Form 2.10
2. Send to Manager - Sales and Marketing of Railways Fax to Number 011-2432128 or handover to Sales and Marketing Manager's Office, Railway Headquarters, Colombo 10 during Week Days – 09.00 AM to 04.00 PM.
3. Speak to Manager - Sales and Marketing- Telephone No. 011-243190
4. Decision will be informed to you
5. Payments can be done at the Counters at Railway Headquarters, Colombo 10.
You may follow the undermentioned procedure .
1. All Railway Station accepts parcels to be transported by Trains on weekdays from 09.00 AM to 04.00 PM
2. Pack the items properly to avoid them getting wasted or damaged
3. Be prepared to open and show the items in the Parcel, if the Station Master requests to do so
4. Attach the Receiving Person's Name and Address to the Parcel.
5. Give the Receiving Person's Name and Address and the National Identity Card Number to the Station Master
6. Give the National Identity Card of the Person handing over th Parcel to the Station Master
6. The Way Bill will be issued to you. This Way Bill is to be sent to the person receiving the Parcel
7. To collect the Parcel at the destination, give the Way Bill and the National Identity Card of the person receiving the Parcel to the Station Master
To Transport Parcels by,
Express Trains and Semi Express Trains - 2 x Normal Rate
Intercity Trains - 3 X Normal Rate
Additional Charge for Value of the Parcels :
|Value of the Parcel||Additional charge as percentage of the Normal Rate|
|1||Up to Rs. 1000.00||-|
|2||Rs. 1,000.00 to Rs. 5,000.00||1.0%|
|3||Rs. 5,000.00 to Rs. 10,000.00||1.5%|
|4||Rs. 10,000.00 to Rs. 20,000.00||2.0%|
|5||Over Rs. 20,000.00||3.0%|
Rate for some Special Items :
|Normal Trains||Express Trains|
|Fish accompanied by owner||50% above the Normal Charge||-|
|Furniture in Small Lots||3 x Normal Charge||5 x Normal Charge|
|Chicks in Ventilated Boxes||3 x Normal Charge||5 x Normal Charge|
|Light weight Articles which require||3 x Normal Charge||5 x Normal Charge|
|Machinery not weighing over 50 kg.||-|
The Documents to be brought for obtaining the Service:
National Identity Card
Transport Permits for Timber and Purchase Bills for furniture
For Further Information:
The Deviations from the above Procedure
Station Masters are empowered to reject any parcel, if they are suspicious about the type of goods or the person handing over the goods.